Thursday, May 17, 2007

THE WORLD OF IT – From the eyes of a Non Engineer

The world of IT – fascinating, intriguing and mystic. My previous post on “Wondering at Technology” has left a lot of people wondering what exactly I was wanting to say. What was it that one was to derive out of it? A few of then might have been amused and passed it on as another abstract. Abstract it was in every sense of the term. That was a way a lot of non – techies might see the world of information technology.

That was I guess a very small past of the vast kingdom of technology. I recently entered the big big world of Information Technology (this again can be referred to as a small part considering all other IT companies, but for now lets call this the world and proceed). Im currently at this IT firm doing my summers and this is one IT place I must say. Never have been in a situation where I can’t understand what people around me are saying. Well, not to be taken very literally, but if you have a sentence that says, “We build expertise in Mainframes and Application Management and have off shoring base with a capacity of 4000 odd people in India”, for a first timer like me its sure hits hard.

But yes, coming back to the intriguing world of IT, you are left wondering on how people establish and maintain a Global Delivery Models. Well, I don’t really wanna get into explaining the model, but, to imagine and execute the whole idea of one work center starting and ending at a time and another one keeping up with it to hold the time lapse between the two. And the guy in the U.S actually never would realize that his work is being carried out in from Japan and India.

The ERP becomes another co worker the better to get to know of its working. Life revolves around SAP. Mainframes and Application Management is like your next door neighbor. I wonder, how all the techies here sit in front of their computer screen all day long, dug deep into weird coding languages and managing to bug or to debug. But, yes, I have to admit, I am not averse to technical terminologies and work they was I have always been.

It interests me to think how it changes the world and how hard people work on it to make it better. I can go on and on on how big the world is, but, that would get too boring. So I shall end it here. Last but not the least, thanks to Mindtree Consulting to introduce me to this magical world of IT and making me more aware technically.

This doesn’t necessarily mean I would go on to work for the IT industry still, some things still happen to be more interesting. ;-)

3 comments:

Amol said...

IT is big. And its here to stay!
(For the next 20 years at least before another change is required I've read.)

I hate tech IT, it sucks. Bloody sucks. But being aware and being net savvy and computer savvy is a good way to keep tabs on new technologies.

Try it. You'll like it.

Unknown said...

hmmm... the syntax u just coded was interesting.. ;)
latter part wot u discribed... is know was "working vth the SUN".. so.. the work is passed on to the region when sun rises..
so.. keep debugging ur way through the jargon for next couple of months.. & u never know... u might just take MIS frm next yr.. of-course loaded vth a few advt. :P

Amol said...

PS - I just noticed.. the headline of this post.."from . a non engineer"

and the funny thing is.. IT is NOT engineering.

Not the REAL engineering anyway.