Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Orator’s Club – My first session @ MindTree Consulting’s Community

Ya, my first session at the Orator’s Club of Mindtree Consulting. Well, it was on presentation delivery, something I had wanted to do since a very long time. Never got a good opportunity. Generally considered to be a good speaker (sincere apologies to anyone who thinks I am boasting), this turned out to be an eye opener. What I saw about myself, actually made me realize, I got a long way to go as far as Public Speaking is concerned.

I mean how good you are as a speaker is not about how you can talk in front of an audience, but, how your audience sits when they you speak. Imagine someone sitting in rapt attention listening to you (or you think so), the person is actually not even listening to you.

Well, if you are thinking the audience here (see pointers) is listening – then you gotta think again. These guys though show that they are listening are actually thinking about something else and only LOOKING at the guy who would be doing the talking. Some of the really bad experiences could leave you with an audience like this, yeah quite disappointing.

Well, these were some of the audience feedback on how good or bad a speaker are you.


And if your audience can manage to do this while you are talking, well I guess you would know where you are headed (I would say you are quite doomed!!!!) so next time while you are presenting you know what to look for, for a feedback. (but, I wouldn’t say this for class presentations he he he)

Anyway moving on, the most difficult part of the workshop happened to be the one where we were supposed to shout out our names in 5 different volume levels. And to do that in front of 10 other people you have never seen, trust me its difficult. (unless you are an ex NSS student – a fellow summer intern happened to be one and found the task not difficult). For me, it was quite a scary experience. But, you don’t have a way put, cos the guy taking the workshop is a vertical head. Phew!!!

Then came the part of the workshop when I realized the amount of umms and uhhs I use while I talk or present. Quite an exercise that was for me. What made it worse was people shouting an objection (like you do in a debate) every time you ummed or uhhed while talking. But, yes now I know what to work on.

I am going to remember this workshop all my life. One of the most enjoyable and learning at the same time. Mindtree experience is quite an experience I must say!!!!

3 comments:

Amol said...

Good speaker and all eh?
Hhmmmmmmm

Yea.. I like speaking to an audience during class presentations.

It's a challenge for sure, I am never comfortable in front of a crowd. But there's a certain thrill to the whole thing na?

cafm said...

hi there....

public speaking is one of my personal demons....i work well in intimate converstaions though(at least i feel :P)...gotta work on public though

just curious...do you work at MindTree?

dreamy_writer said...

yes im at mindtree, bangalore doing sumemr internship. are u also a mindtree mind??