Thursday, December 03, 2015

My EBF Story

Nothing is more true than, when someone tells you that holding your newborn in your arms is the most amazing feeling in the world, that when your baby smiles all the sleepless nights and hours of sitting are worth it and more, that the first time the baby latches on to you it’s a wonder!

And then begins the pulling, the tears and the backaches! And it leaves a lot of wondering where is that ‘magical’ feeling one gets when breastfeeding and I was thinking the same when I got a nipple tear in the first week of breastfeeding.  I had moments when I would hold something in my fist tight so that I can get through the pain when my baby starts feeding. Treating my nipple tear was hence my priority, because the only thing I wanted was to experience the magical feeling of your baby feeding. And I got these soon enough! What helped me? My mommies group that Rolly made for us all and the will power to ebf for 6months!

Make sure you keep reading and reminding yourself of the pros of breastfeeding cos there aren’t any cons to it! It’s good for you and it’s good for the baby. It’s convenient for you and it’s your baby’s favorite food!

This is where even our moms cannot help us because most of them started the “dal ka pani” at 3 months. So 6 months of ebf leaves them wondering. In the beginning I used to wonder how am I gonna go through 6 months and before I even realized, 6 months have gone by and I have to now start giving my baby food and both of us are wondering “what the hell!” Hahaha!

Nothing comes more naturally to the mother and the baby than latching on and breastfeeding, and nothing is more difficult to part ways with as well. Right after my C-sec I was sedated and most part of that my baby was sleeping J When we started to get on to our latching practice it wasn’t easy and right after surgery I did let the nurses give her top feed. it might not have been more than a spoon but that wasn’t what I had in mind for my little doll. Once back to my senses, and with encouragement from my doctor (who was quite surprised at his own nurses… guess that’s a different story) I made sure there was no more top feed. And not even a mention of it!

She cried and so did I, she struggled and so did I.  And in the end we both got through it !

She wouldn’t feed from my left side and I couldn’t understand why, but I knew what to do thanks to Rolly’s lectures! Come in football hold to my rescue - and my husband who helped me hold her so I could get her started on my left side as well J Then there was the tear, which was the most difficult part for me, cos while I had to correct her latch and feed her from both sides I was also making a lot of milk. It took me a few weeks to stabilize and bring in discipline of feeding, which is everything from alternating breasts, to expressing extra mik after every feed, warm compress, applying nipcare and the constant help from our mommies group! These 5 things and I smooth sailed through it and today I know its magical to breastfeed and its even more magical when your baby gives you this yummy smile after she is done feeding!   
Then there are the smaller difficulties of how do we go out shopping or dining, well you can do it best while you are breastfeeding, cos it is easiest now to carry your baby’s food along ;) . And as far as, “where do I feed when I am out”, is concerned you will always find a place and if you don’t – well, feed her right where you are J I have fed my baby at the airport sitting at the boarding gate, in the flight, in restaurants and when you do it once, you will realize you don’t care where you are when your baby wants to feed J And having said the one thing I wanna do before I wean her - is feed her sitting on the beach! Hopefully soon ;)

No comments: